Physical Effects Of Anorexia Nervosa Experienced By An Anorexic
It's easy to recall the physical effects of anorexia nervosa having suffered them myself as an anorexic. You may experience some or all of them, and even more...
- Hunger pangs and almost constant headaches came at about the same time.
- Dizziness and blurred vision followed.
- Sleeplessness/insomnia happened regularly
- Then, there was the dangerous heart pain
- I didn't think deep because thinking was big stress for me
- Drastic emaciation made me physically weak
- I was often sick as my immunity wasn't optimal. It was poor
- Cold and it's associates were occurring often.
- Irritability was the order of the day for me.
- Tooth decay took me regularly to the dentist
- I had poor blood circulation resulting in pins and needles
- Brittle finger and toe nails
- Frail looks
- As a lady, I experienced irregular menstruation
- Decreased libido wasn’t left out. In men, outright impotence could occur
More Physical Effects Of Anorexia Nervosa
- Dry skin and lips
- My hair thinned out and was cutting badly
- Dull complexion and sunken eyes
- My bone density was reduced resulting in dry and brittle bones.
This is called osteoporosis and it manifested in a painful slipped-disc
as I tried to lift a normal pot in my kitchen
- Constipation was there and sometimes I had diarrhea
- My rate of metabolism was reduced
- For growing children, growth gets stunted
- I didn’t like to look at the mirror because it always showed me a Fat Me.
- Dressing up was a chore because I had to look for layers of clothing to
wear to shield myself from cold. The reason which is now obvious
to me was that I was too thin to put up any resistance against cold.
I had little or no fat to keep me warm.
- To people I looked far too underfed and too thin while I felt too fat
I was actually bony
- I knew I was on a very dangerous pathway the day I realized that
much as I wanted to eat,
I COULD NOT EAT.
- Nausea set in
- Oh, the withdrawal from family and friends was another one.
It was mutually not comfortable to eat together.
If they ate, I felt they were gluttons and they felt I was unnecessarily
punishing myself by eating too little or nothing.
You may like to know that later, I beat anorexia
and overcame all the effects.
Physical Effects Of Anorexia Nervosa to Anorexia Nervosa Effects
Go to Home Page